Wedding Planning and Wedding Ideas...
How to organise the perfect wedding..
A lot people say they'll never get married but those of you who fancy sharing your life with a partner, here are some important tips and wedding ideas. Please take a few minutes to read through and feel free to e-mail us if you have any feedback.
It's always good to plan the wedding early. If you are a male, don't leave it to your future wife to deal with. She won't! Believe me! She probably won't marry you if you don't get going.
We have added this article to help you plan your way through your big day. We've also added a checklist on this page to guide you through. The checklist will help you remember most of the things to do and organise. Please take a few moments to read through and print the page if needed. If you cannot find the information you require, please visit our wedding checklist article.
1 Year to go:
- Start to think of a budget for your wedding, over estimating costs is always a good idea as it gives you flexibility and more control of your finances.
- Start to think of a theme, you may want a formal/informal or even a themed wedding. e.g. Star Wars, James Bond, Masquerade Ball or even Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
- Start to compare prices for venues and check availability. If you are going to have a wedding at your place of worship discuss all your options with the priest.
- Look at wedding stationary, and prices, sometimes you can get better deals from wholesalers especially if you are planning to have a large wedding.
- Decide on a wedding caterer, be prepared for the food tasting remember to make notes about what you liked/disliked about the menu to help you deceide. Always check the vegetarian option and if you can get a package deal depending on the amount of courses you are going to have.
- Decide what type of entertainment you are going to have. Having a live band can be a nice option but can sometimes be costly, check what will be included in the price and the type of songs that they are willing to play. If you decide to have a DJ make sure they have the correct equipment and have substancial experience with playing at weddings. Always remember to check the sound restrictions at the venue that you have chosen. (The last thinhg you want is for the sensors to automatically turn off the music.
- Start to shop around for your wedding outfit, now would probably be a good time to look at dresses for bridesmaid/ushers if you are going to have them. Go for an initial fitting, don't feel rushed if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't so take your time on choosing your outfit but don't leave it too long.
If you are going to have a gift list there are many well known and estabilshed stores such as John Lewis, WHSmith and Debenhams that have a gift service scheme. Some place also offer to gift wrap and deliver the products at the same time before or after the wedding.
- Decide on a date for your hen/stag night or weekend. Going abroad is becoming extremely popular so make sure you have enough holidays saved for your honemoon.
- Think of colour schemes and floral arrangements, sometimes it can be difficult to get certain types of flowers at particular points of the year so make sure you plan in advance to get the choice that you want.
- Decide on the type of vehicles that you want for your wedding day, some dates become extremely popular and it can sometimes be difficult to get the vehicle that you want. If you are going for a themed wedding such as James Bond you can hire our a DB9 or a Ferrari to go with your image. You may choose to go for traditinal wedding cars such as the The Beauford. If you decide to have helicopter you will need to make sure that the venue you have chosen for your reception can accomodate for this.
- Finally always check that you have written confirmation of everything that you hace booked. It is always a good idea to check the cancellation period before you lose your deposit or have to pay the amount in full. In most cases the deposit that you have paid will be non-refundable.
- So you have the bulk of prepartions arranged now. You can take a small breather. Now is probably the best time to arrange a spa weekend or trip away, but don't relax too much there is still more to arrange.
4 - 5 Months to go:
- Make arrangements for your honeymoon. Check if you need to apply for any visas or transit visas in advance as they can take time to obtain. You may also need to get immunisation/vaccination injections depending on where you are going.
- Finalise all arangements make calls to the evrythng you have booked to make sure everything is running smoothly.
- Decide on the type of cake that you are going to have a make a booking for it. Ask if the bakery can make a direct delivery to the venue as it can save you a lot of time and hassle.
- Collect the wedding stationary, draw up a provisional guest list.
- Go for another fitting for your outfit.
- Make sure you are keeping up with regular gym visits and are having regular facials.
1 Month to go:
This article is written by a male, so the best advice would be... "You've still got enough time to change your mind" :)
- Check you have everything organised, or have a long meeting with the person you have delegated this to.
- Confirm details such as tickets, limo / wedding car times, or transport details.
- Eat and sleep well. You don't want to be tired on your wedding day. (Try to avoid going out too late on the night before the wedding)
Surely you would have thought about other wedding ideas that haven't been mentioned in this article but make sure you have written them down otherwise it be left behind, just as an idea.
We hope this information was useful. Pleased feel free to e-mail us with your thoughts.